Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Around Cambodia




For a view of the route map refer here - http://goo.gl/maps/VD698
(NB - It only seems to work on my laptop & not my phone) 
LIST OF CONTENTS
19/08/14 – Sihanukville to Veal Renh – 45KM (APPROX) –Easy
20/08/14 – Veal Renh to Kampot – 55KM (APPROX) – Easy
21/08/14 – Kampot to Takeo – 90KM (APPROX) – Easy
22/08/14 - Takeo to Phnom Penh – 78km – Easy
27-08-14 – Phnom Penh
28/08/14 – Phnom Penh to Kompong Chhnang – 91km – Easy
29/08/14 – Kompong Chhnang – Pursat – 95km – Easy
30/08/14 – Pursat to Battambang – 105km – Easy
31/08/14 – Battambang -Bike Cleaning
02/09/14 Battambang to Battambang – 20km   - Disaster
03/09/14 – Battambang to Sisophon – 68km – Easy
04/09/14 – Sisophon to Siem Reap - 105km – Easy
05/09/14 – Siem Reap
07/09/14 – Siem Reap – Bike repairs
08/09/14 – Siem Reap to Stoeng – 97km – Easy
09/09/14 – Stoeng to Kompong Thom – 50km – Easy
10/09/14 – Kompong Thom to Kompong Cham – 110km – Medium
11/09/14 – Kompong Cham to Prey Veng – 75km (approx) – Easy
12/09/14 – Prey Veng to Phnom Penh – 91km – Easy
16/09/14 – Phnom Penh – Attempted bike repairs
17/09/14 – Phnom Penh to Angk Ta Saom – 93km (approx) – Easy
18/09/14 – Angk Ta Soam to Kampot – 75km (approx) – Easy
19/09/14 – Kampot to Sihanukville – 100km – Medium
Conclusions & overall costs



19/08/14 – SIHANUKVILLE TO VEAL RENH – 45KM (APPROX) -Easy

A great start to my day with Sovann’s full breakfast – 2 fried eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausage, hash browns, baked beans & baguette for $2.50. Washed down with a Royal D (* see note 1) to offset the excess of beer consumed last night.
I finally got off around midday & immediately hit the hills going out of Sihanukville. Nothing too taxing but after 6 weeks of soft living I found it more difficult than it should have been. After 10Km’s of ups & downs (NB the 1st hill is the hardest) highway 4 levels off & from then its flat all the way to Phnom Penh. Services were available all the way.
I took it really easy, with lots of rest stops & arrived in Veal Renh shortly after 3PM. Coming into town I spotted 4 guesthouses, one of which looked a fairly fancy affair but I opted to turn off onto highway 3 & after a few hundred meters came to Leng-Try food shop & Guesthouse. My logic that highway 3 is a much quieter road & I wouldn’t have to endure the noise of buses & trucks passing proved correct. For $8 I got a much nicer room than I’d been expecting to find in Veal Renh. A sparkling clean big fan room, lots of cable channels & very quiet. Note – No English spoken. Their A/C rooms are $15.
At 6PM I headed out for some beer & some food, I’d noticed a row of Khmer fast food restaurants (* see note 2) opposite the market & in one I got a huge bowl of pork, shrimp, onion, green pepper, & Chinese mushroom & a large plate of steamed rice for $1.25. Unlimited free iced tea complimented a superb value meal. I enjoyed a few more beers wandering around & chatting to some of the moto drivers & although I didn’t need it, I couldn’t resist some barbecued pork to top off my night.  Veal Renh has been friendly, honest & great value but isn’t the most exciting place of an evening so a bag full of beers, some ice & my $2 worth of barbecued pork saw me retire to my room to enjoy Willie Russell’s “The Wrong Boy”

NOTE 1 – Royal D is a sachet of electrolyte powder & when mixed with cold water it makes a wonderfully refreshing drink at anytime, but especially after a long day in the saddle. It’s also a pretty effective hangover cure. They cost around 15 cents a sachet.
NOTE 2 – Khmer fast food restaurants – Throughout Cambodia you will see restaurants with stainless steel pans in a display case or simply sitting on a table. This is the Khmer version of fast food. Simply open the lids & look at what’s on offer then point to what you fancy & it will be served up with a big plate of steamed rice & usually unlimited free iced tea. Some places reheat the food before serving but this is not always the case. It’s generally as cheap as eating out in Cambodia gets & the dishes can vary from pretty wonderful to downright awful. I’m by no means a fussy eater but tend to peruse the offerings for something without too many bones (i.e. pork or beef although very occasionally they use boneless chicken). It’s a great way to experience Cambodian food, there’s no language barrier – just point at what you want, the staff are invariably very welcoming & it won’t break anyone’s budget.




20/08/14 – VEAL RENH TO KAMPOT – 55KM (APPROX) – EASY

Enjoyed a great nights sleep & I’d really recommend Leng Try Guesthouse – very peaceful & quiet. I got on the road around 10AM & highway 3 to Kampot proved the perfect cycling road. Mountains in the background, passing picturesque fishing villages, flat terrain, sparse traffic, a good road surface, friendly locals, lots of services & to top it all a pleasantly overcast day. A great days cycle. 20Km into the trip I stopped for some breakfast & waited out a rather heavy downpour. Stir fried squid & onion with black pepper + rice cost $1.75. A bit expensive but it was tasty & I love drinking gallons of the free iced tea.
In Kampot I headed straight to Kampot 2 Guesthouse for a $6 fan room where I can lock my bicycle in my room. By night my 1st stop was the supermarket to pick up 2 packets of Britannia Bourbon biscuits – the perfect cycling snack & energy boost (62 cents/ packet). Noticing a sign advertising Rusty Keyhole 2 Quiz night, I spent my night mixing with some of the local expats & enjoying the social vibe quiz nights engender. Their special of Italian meatballs & penne pasta went down a treat even although at $4.75 it’s a lot more than I’d normally spend on a meal.

21/08/14 – KAMPOT TO TAKEO – 90KM (APPROX) - EASY

Awoke with a bit of a hangover & it took me some time & lots of coffee to get myself going. Thank goodness for my element whereby I can make a few coffees before I face the world (* see note 1). Packed up & hit the road at 10am but it wasn’t long (about 20KM) before I noticed rows of stalls with big caldrons steaming away – as I suspected they were sweet corn vendors & so I stopped for 2 kernels of steamed sweet corn & a coconut (50 cents) for breakfast.
Once again it was perfect cycling country, good flat roads, sparse traffic, green bucolic countryside, friendly locals & lots of services enroute. Around the 40km mark I came to Chhouk & decided to enjoy a proper meal. Outside the market there was a large row of rustic food stalls of the “point & order” variety. Perusing a few I found everyone was incredibly friendly & helpful. I eventually chose one & pointed to stewed pork & egg. She reheated the dish & served it over steamed rice. As I was eating she kept adding spoonfuls from the other dishes on offer whilst keeping up a flirty banter, especially when I told her I wasn’t married. I think it would be pretty easy to find a wonderful wife here in Cambodia if I was that way inclined. Best of all the whole meal came to only $1 – fantastic value!

It’s these chance encounters with wonderful people that makes traveling so enjoyable for me. If your passing I recommend stopping at any vendor here- it’s the friendliest place I’ve stopped for a long time.
The road remained good until the turnoff in Angk Tasaom, then for the last 13km it became a bit rough & it was easier to cycle on the red clay shoulder than the main surface. The turnoff isn’t signposted but in Angk Tasaom look for a big green petrol station with a mini- mart & turn right at this corner. In need of an energy boost for the last 13km, I stopped for a sugarcane juice (* see note 2) & some bourbon biscuits.

In Takeo I stayed at Duankeo Guesthouse. The $5 fan room was a bit small but well worth $5, next time I might get a twin room for $6 just to have a bit more space. What I did like about this guesthouse was there are lots of private sitting areas & balconies to enjoy a few pages of my book or update my journal. The young guy on reception spoke really good English & was very chatty. All in all it was another great choice.
At night I headed to the food stalls by the lakeside. A plate of deep-fried prawns ($1.25) & a plate of deep-fried squid ($1.25) complimented a jug of Angkor beer @ $1.75. 



Note 1 – An Element – I find an essential part of my luggage is an electric element. The spiral heating coil boils a cup of water in about 3 minutes. It doesn’t take up much room & weighs next to nothing. In addition to having coffee & tea whenever I want, if I’m stuck for food I can always add boiling water to some instant noodles. It’s also been invaluable on colder nights when I can mix 2 cups of boiling water with a basin or pail of cold water & have a lukewarm mandi. 

Note 2 – Sugar cane juice – All over Cambodia (& Vietnam) you will see stalls like this one where sugar cane is forced through a wringer (or mangle in Scot’s) & the juice collected. It’s a wonderfully refreshing drink when ice is added & really does give me a great energy boost. A glass rarely costs more than 25 cents.


 


22/08/14 -  Takeo to Phnom Penh – 78km – Easy

Last night I’d been sniffling a lot & today I awoke & realized I’d a full blown cold. I felt really listless & lacking any energy at all & considered staying another day in Takeo to try & shake it off but decided to push on & rest up in Phnom Penh instead. It made today’s run harder than it should have been & I was eventually resting up every 10km or so.

A straight run up highway 2 & the road was OK with a few bumpy stretches due to poorly repaired road surface & there were a few roadworks’s which were rough but thankfully only lasted for a km or so on each occasion. It would have been another very enjoyable ride except for my weakened state. At one point whilst looking for some shade to rest up, I cycled into monastery grounds where I found a shaded pavilion with concrete seats & tables – it was so peaceful that I actually fell asleep for a time (*see note 1).

20km in I stopped for breakfast & had the best bai sai-ch chrouk (marinated grilled pork over rice) I’ve ever had – it included sliced omelet, cucumber & a bowl of broth. It really was fantastic & all for 75 cents. The young owner was a delightfully friendly guy & spoke excellent English – Srey Mom restaurant really brightened my day.
Coming into Phnom Penh I got somewhat lost but the great thing is, unlike Saigon, Phnom Penh has plenty of direction signs & I just followed signs for the Central market until I got my bearings. 1st stop was EuroAsia bakery for a pork pie & some chocolate muffins before heading to Green Guesthouse on street 125 and I was really happy to find they had an $8 twin room available. I could probably find a nicer $8 room in PP but I do like this hotel with safe bike storage, an elevator to help rest my weary legs, great views of the city, free use of their computers in reception & they never object to me using their power washer to clean the grime off my bike. Another snooze found me running late at night, so a quick fried noodles with pork & vegetables ($1.50) outside the Orrasay market before heading to Sorya centre for a few jugs of beer.
 
*Note 1 – I used to cycle for upwards of an hour desperately looking for some shade to have a cigarette & water break until I realized I could just cycle into a wat or monastery – They seem to be used to weary travelers & I can enjoy my break in monastic calm (often just meters from the main road). There’s always a shaded spot to sit down & you will either enjoy complete solitude or be surrounded by friendly, hospitable monks. Both very enjoyable experiences.

27-08-14 – Phnom Penh
Awoke early today, packed & then changed my mind. I’m really enjoying PP this time around & decided to stay on for a 6th night. I’ve been enjoying some great food & with a few mates in town there’s no shortage of company in the evenings.
View from Green Guesthouse
Great news that my new passport is finally on its way. I took the plunge & bought a smartphone, so will have GPS to help me along & can finally take some photos along the way. I was surprised & delighted to find cycle shorts here in Phnom Penh. The main Giant shop stocks a very limited selection & I splashed out $38 on a pair (NB – as I review this one week later, I can confirm they make a fantastic difference). Finding a good quality copy of Nelles Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia roadmap for $2.60 at the International Book Centre completed my spending spree.

I was tempted to buy proper panniers & a front handlebar bag (available from the main Giant shop) but actually I’ve got quite attached to my Chinese laundry bag bungee corded to the rear rack & thought “ if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

 28/08/14 – Phnom Penh to Kompong Chhnang – 91km – Easy

Checking Google Maps on my brand new Smartphone it suggested a convoluted route out of the city. It just looked unnecessarily complicated with too many chances of going wrong. Instead I headed straight for the riverfront (via ABC bakery for breakfast) where I took a left turn & amazingly quickly (around 10 to 15 minutes) found myself on Phnom Penh’s outskirts. I’d expected to waste a lot more time fighting traffic & waiting on traffic lights but actually PP’s a really easy city to cycle once you know your way around (& the local road rules).
Highway 5 proved to be another great cycling road. Flat, reasonable road surface, moderate traffic & reasonably scenic with services available all the way, rarely more than a km away. Primarily it was flooded rice paddies with temples glittering away in the background, colourfully dressed Khmers laboring in the fields, kids frolicking around or going about their chores, everyone with huge smiles & sturdy “hellos” for the Barang cyclist passing by.
I was really enjoying being back on the saddle & often caught myself whistling away as I rode. Midday as I arrived in Udong I spotted a Khmer restaurant that was packed full – always a good sign. Pointing to a pan with stir fried chicken, onion & green peppers it was soon served up with rice & made a hearty meal for $1.25. Needless to say I drank gallons of the free iced tea.
Back onto Highway 5 & continued until about 3pm when the heavens opened & an absolutely torrential downpour began. I quickly backtracked to a temple I’d just passed, pulled in & found some shelter. I spent around 30 minutes smoking a couple of cigarettes & enjoying some fruit cake but soon realized the rain wasn’t going to let up & I’d have to push on to Kompong Chhnang.
I don’t mind cycling in the rain, indeed often enjoy it but I hate when trucks drive full throttle through deep puddles & I’m assaulted with a wall of water, occasionally strong enough to almost knock me off the bike. It was a miserable last 20km, heavy rain, the wash of passing vehicles & cycling through deep puddles of muddy water unable to see the road surface.
Arriving in Kompong Chhang I checked a couple of hotels before settling on Sokha Guesthouse where they had $6 or $8 fan rooms. The $8 room had a hot shower & fridge & was set in a nice courtyard with pleasant sitting areas. It proved to be a great choice.
Unpacked & tried to dry off what I could before heading to a small night market near Psar Leu. Not really much on offer & I had fried noodle, pork & vegetables ($1.25) – it was OK but I’ve also had a lot better. Back in my room I’ve a bag of grilled chicken ($1.25) & of grilled spare ribs ($1.25) which I’m just about to dig into along with some Angkor beers.
The cycling shorts have made a fantastic difference & are immeasurably more comfortable than football shorts.
NB. As I transcribe these notes later, I can confirm both the grilled chicken & spare ribs were fantastic, especially the chicken which was juicy, moist & well marinated with lovely spices – more like a Thai Gay Yaang than the often tough, stringy Cambodian chicken. 



29/08/14 – Kompong Chhnang – Pursat – 95km – Easy
A really comfortable bed in Sokha Guesthouse & I was enjoying a really deep sleep until a kiddie started crying his eyes out around 6am. At 7am I gave up on getting any more sleep & boiled my first cup of coffee.

On the road at 9am, which was again flat & a decent road surface. Light to moderate traffic & pleasant, if unspectacular scenery.
Around the 20km mark, I was ravenously hungry & looking out for a Khmer fast food restaurant. After 5km I gave up & pulled into a very small market & settled for marinated, grilled pork over rice. This vendor’s version came with grilled Chinese sausage & a bowl of broth full of sliced pork. It was good & seeing me wolf it down, she kept adding extra meat to my plate. For 75 cents it was a wonderfully filling meal, only I had fancied something different today. Sod’s law, setting off again & within a few hundred meters there was a restaurant with about 12 stainless steel pans, where I could have had something completely different.
Peaceful rest stop
The middle section of today’s journey wasn’t pleasant at all, not least around midday the rain arrived & didn’t let up all day & although the road surface remained good, the shoulder was just red mud. Traffic wasn’t heavy but seemed more aggressive than usual & left little room when overtaking, particularly oncoming traffic which would head straight for me forcing me down a 2 inch drop onto the muddy shoulder. (It sometimes seemed like they were playing “chicken” with me but actually I think car drivers just aren’t aware of the state of the shoulder & they can’t understand why you don’t get out of their way). Add in the rain & lack of visibility & it just wasn’t a pleasant afternoons cycling. Thankfully the last 15km saw a decent shoulder return making for much safer cycling.
For the last 25km I’d been looking out for a Khmer desert stall to no avail & eventually I settled for a coconut (37 cents) & my final slices of fruit loaf – just enough to keep me afloat until Pursat.
Arriving in Pursat tired, hungry & soaked through I took the first room I looked at (ably assisted by the Lonely Planet Guide) & New Toun Sour Hotel with a big fan room for $7 was a reasonable choice. Big room, quiet, good wifi although the TV reception was dreadful & there was only one English channel anyway. Very secure bike storage facilities.
Brewed a coffee, showered & hung everything to try & day it out before heading out for some beer & food. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places but there didn’t seem to be much on offer food wise. I ended up sitting down to rice soup with chicken ($1.25) & then got $2 worth of barbequed pork, a Khmer desert (25 cents) & some beers to take back to the room. Not the meal I’d envisioned on the eve of my 50th birthday but all perfectly adequate & actually the desert – banana stewed in syrup with coconut milk added was really delicious.




30/08/14 – Pursat to Battambang – 105km – Easy

Awoke early after a good nights sleep & New Toun Sour Hotel provided a quiet & comfortable nights rest. I got on the road around 9am but after only 15km became ravenously hungry. Thankfully I soon spotted some stainless steel pans glinting away in a very rustic looking restaurant. One pan contained one of my favorite Cambodian dishes – stir fried chicken, liver & ginger & in this case they had used boneless chicken. Served up with a big pan of steamed rice, I soon wolfed it down & what a fantastic breakfast for only $1.25. They were a really friendly family & it’s amazing but they make you feel as if your making their day simply by stopping in their restaurant.
A moderate headwind slowed my progress most of the day on what was another nice cycling road. Flat, with fairly light traffic, a decent shoulder, services available & a pleasantly overcast day. The scenery wasn’t overly spectacular but there’s always lots of colourful activity going on & hearty “hellos” & warm smiles everywhere you go.
Around 1pm I stopped for a tukalock (see note 1) & although it was incredibly refreshing & reinvigorating at 75 cents I thought it was expensive & it’s the 1st time I’ve felt overcharged on this trip.
I was making good time when around 3pm I managed to get my first puncture of this trip. I hate the back wheel punctures as it means I end up covered in oil. Unpacked & got my pump & spare tube out & set about changing tubes as about 10 kids & 2 old guys gathered to watch & comment on my every move.
Not long after setting out again I spotted a Khmer desert stall. Normally they are too sickly sweet for my tastes but when I’m cycling & burning up calories they seem like perfect energy boosts & I’m keen to sample more of them. This time I opted for a combination of boiled potato & carrot with tapioca in a syrupy sauce, topped off with crushed ice & coconut milk. I know! I know! – it sounds an absolutely dreadful combination but it was actually really good, filling & a huge energy boost. I’d have taken a photo but my hands were covered in oil. Just as I was finishing the young vendor noticed the state of my hands & rushed off, returning with a large bowl of water & some washing up liquid to let me wash the oil off. The bowl of filling desert cost 25 cents, amazing value.
10km outside Battambang a heavy rain came on & once again I arrived in town soaked through.
Playing up for the camera
Thankfully my bags remain watertight & it’s only my clothes & dustcovers that get a soaking. I wasn’t in the mood to hunt around for a room & headed straight for the Royal Hotel where for $8 I got a big fan room, writing desk, decent TV, Wi-fi & all the staff are really friendly & speak excellent English. The bike is very securely stored in a back room. There are probably better value rooms in town & I’m sure for $8 I could probably find a room with hot shower or a fridge but I was happy with my room in the Royal & it’s very centrally located.
I’d intended to celebrate my 50th birthday with an Indian curry & garlic naan but a sudden change of mind saw me head to the White Rose restaurant for some Koh Kua – a slowly simmered beef stew with tomatoes, onion & star aniseed – one of my favorite Cambodian dishes. I ordered mine takeaway with boiled rice ($3) although most Cambodians forgo the rice & enjoy this dish with sliced baguette. A bag of beers & some ice & I happily spent my 50th birthday in my room watching some footy & looking forward to a relaxing day off tomorrow.  
Not my photo



Note 1 – When you see a stall like this (NB not my photo) it reflects the vendor sells tukaloc’s i.e. sweetened fruit shakes. Fruit, ice & condensed milk are blended to produce a cool, refreshing & nutritious drink that’s also fairly filling. They make a wonderful drink when cycling & cost between 50 to 75 cents.
 



31/08/14 – Battambang -Bike Cleaning
Passing a motorcycle cleaning depot, I decided to see if they would give my bike a hose down. Pulling up, I mimed hosing down my bike & straight away the 2 young lads attacked it with extremely high pressure hoses. They attacked it with such vigor, laughing, joking & having a great time. They were genuinely having such great fun cleaning the Barang’s bike that soon other staff & customers were joining in – pointing out bits they had missed & with lots of joyous laughter they would redouble their efforts.
Cleaned & ready for the off
When I stopped them they looked disappointed that the fun was over until I upended the bike & they realized they still had the whole underside to enjoy cleaning. It typified the good humor & joy with which the Khmers go about their daily lives. When I reluctantly called a halt to their fun & tried to pay, I’m not sure but I think they were intimating it was free. I forced 50 cents into each of their top pockets & headed off feeling fantastic to be amongst such wonderful people.


02/09/14 Battambang to Battambang – 20km   - Disaster

I’d had a good relaxing time in Battambang, a friendly, laid back town & batteries recharged I was keen to get moving again.
I expected a fairly easy 68km to Sisophon but after only 10km another puncture struck, again to the rear wheel. I was extremely fortunate as right across the road was a motorcycle repair shop & the guy really knew what he was doing. He made a good job of patching the tube but soon discovered the side wall of the tyre was torn which the patched tube bulged through. Unperturbed he cut a section from an old bike tyre & fitted it between my tyre & tube explaining it wouldn’t last for long but would get me to Sisophon. He charged me 25 cents for the repair but I was so impressed with his ability, knowledge & honest I forced 50 cents on him.
I didn’t want to risk another 58km & knew there would be more & better quality bike shops back in Battambang. Arriving back at the Royal Hotel I got a few strange looks from the staff who had watched me load up the bike & leave little over an hour ago.
I headed for The Battambang Bike, a bicycle rental shop a few meters into Pub Street at the Central Market end & a really friendly, talkative lad had a new tyre for $6 which he fitted & despite my protestations insisted he also clean off the fresh mud from my bike. It’s not going to be the best quality tyre for $6 but it should get me to Phnom Penh where I can exchange it for something of decent quality.
Off to the Central market where an absolutely huge bowl of bia baaw sai-ch chrouk (rice soup with pork) costs $1 before enjoying another lazy day in Battambang.
Street kids
In the evening enjoying a chicken Amok in the White Rose restaurant, I’d watch & as soon as an outdoor table is vacated a gang of street kids rush in & wolf down the leftovers. They even carry large polystyrene cups to decant the unfinished fruit shakes into. The staff watch tolerantly until the kids have finished before clearing the table. A small example of how wonderfully tolerant, understanding & civilized the Cambodians can be.

03/09/14 – Battambang to Sisophon – 68km – Easy

As is always the case after an extended lay up, it was great to get back on the road again & not for the first time I caught myself whistling away as I cycled. Worryingly, straight off my lowest gear kept slipping & I had to switch to the 2nd lowest all day, indeed all the way to Siem Reap. Not ideal when the roads are so flat. A later look at the smallest cog revealed it is worn to sharp points (rather than the castellated teeth on the other cogs) & one tooth is broken off.
Once again it was great cycling conditions – flat road, decent surface, light to moderate traffic & services available all the way. The shoulder varied a lot today, sometimes it was a good tarmac surface level with the main road and at times it was a muddy or dusty track an inch or so below the road surface. That said, I always felt perfectly safe on the road today & there were no dangerous or hair rising stretches. The scenery was perhaps a bit bland but once again there was always enough colourful Khmer roadside activity to keep me fully occupied.
Around midday I stopped in a small town & checked restaurants offerings. One of the pans had beef, green pepper & onion which turned out to have been stir fried in a beautiful light curry sauce. With rice it came to $2 which was definitely on the expensive side.
I really enjoy these 70km days where I can take it really easy, stop often & not feel the need to always be counting the km. Arriving in Sisophon around 3pm, I looked at a few hotels, finally settling for a $7 windowless room in the Golden Crown Hotel. It’s nothing special & probably the worst value I’ve had this trip but it will do for a night & at least it’s very centrally located. The Lonely Planet top pick Botoum Hotel has upgraded & is all A/C nowadays with rooms @ $15/ night. If your budgets not as tight as mine (I sometimes wonder whose is) then it looked a good choice & the owner was a really friendly, chatty guy who spoke excellent English.
Evening found me wandering around town, beer in hand looking for something nice to eat. I didn’t find anything particularly exciting & settled for a fairly decent fried noodle, pork & vegetables for $1.50. Later I was pleasant surprised to find a couple of good bakery’s & I’ve a chocolate cake & ginger muffin which I’m about to devour. 

04/09/14 – Sisophon to Siem Reap - 105km – Easy
9am saw me packed, loaded up & setting off into a blazing hot, energy sapping day. Once again it was good cycling country on primarily flat roads with only one or two minor inclines, there was a good shoulder pretty much all the way & surprisingly light traffic. The scenery was green & pleasant, if unspectacular but once again the Khmer street life was the main attraction. Services, particularly food was thinner on the ground today, although never more than 10 or 15km away.
It wasn’t long before hunger pangs arrived & around 10.30 I spotted some stainless steel pans. The only boneless option was beef, liver & cucumber stir fried in a peanut curry sauce – the Khmer version of Penang curry but without the coconut milk. It’s one of my favorite dishes whether here or in Thailand & this one didn’t disappoint, it was absolutely fantastic. With rice & free iced tea the bill came to $1 – Amazing value!
Fortified I pushed on but around 1pm felt weak & lethargic, I wasn’t hungry just completely lacking energy. Eventually I spotted a temple complex & backtracked to buy some cold water before cycling into the grounds. Finding a shaded seat I mixed a sachet of Royal D into the water & along with a few biscuits I soon felt great again. I suspect I was getting slightly dehydrated & the Royal D worked its wonders once again. Around 2pm another pit stop saw me enjoying beef, green peppers, string beans & tomato with rice ($1.50) which set me up nicely for the run into Siem Reap.
I’d made good time all day despite not having my lowest gear & was looking forward to a nice room in The Yellow Guesthouse. Unfortunately I arrived to find all their fan rooms were full & a short hunt around found me at Bun Kao Guesthouse, its ok & does have a hot shower but I’m sure for $8 there’s better value around.
After some time in the countryside I always find it difficult to adjust to tourist towns. The constant propositioning, “you want ganja”, “you want massage”, “you want lady” etc, etc can grate on my nerves until I get adjusted to the new environment. Indeed tonight after a stroll around town I gave up & got some carry out food & beers to enjoy in my room. The chicken madras ($3.25) from Two Dragons restaurant is good but it’s a very Thai idea of madras. Chicken, coriander & basil would more accurately describe the dish – thankfully I like both these herbs & enjoyed a lovely meal.
I’m feeling a bit drained & looking forward to a good night’s sleep with no reason to awake early.


05/09/14 – Siem Reap

Today’s priority was to get the bike fixed but first off something I’d been looking forward to for some time, Khmer Taste Restaurant’s $1 breakfast. 2 fried eggs, sliced tomato, a wonderfully fresh baguette, punnet of butter & a punnet of jam. A fantastic start to the day & even beats Victory Hill’s restaurants for value for money.
An SOS to Khmer 440 posters had come up with a recommendation for Grasshopper tours who also do bike repairs & servicing. They appeared to be professionally run & to know what they were talking about & I arranged to have the back cassette (gear hub) renewed ($12) & also a full strip down & service ($16). Only time will tell but I just hope they are as competent as they sound. I was disappointed to find out it would take 3 days to complete the work & I won’t be able to get off until Tuesday (9th) at the earliest.
Otherwise a slow bike less day in Siem Reap trying to switch off to the touts offering me ganja, massage, temple tours etc. Evening saw me at India Gate restaurant for a chicken Thali & garlic naan.
Initially I was disappointed to see 4 forlorn pieces of chicken swimming in the curry sauce with daal & vegetable curry to compliment it, but on digging in the flavors were really good & the garlic naan was exceptional. For $4 it was reasonable value especially when washed down with 50 cent beers.




07/09/14 – Siem Reap – Bike repairs

Old photo
I’ve decided I don’t have time to do the Anlong Veng, Tbeng Meanchey circuit & need to get to Phnom Penh & collect my new passport. A call this afternoon from Grasshopper to tell me my bike was ready a day early meant a mad rush to get laundry done, change money & buy some biscuits to allow me to get off tomorrow instead of Tuesday.
Old photo
Going to pick up my bike I got annoyed that they unilaterally decided to adjust my spokes & wheel alignment & charge me an extra $12 for the unsanctioned work. They quickly dropped the charge to $6. I got even more annoyed when I discovered the bike flies along in bottom gear but in all other gears there’s an annoying grinding as the chain rubs against the derailleur. Basically $34 to make the bike run worse than it ever has & leave me with only one effective gear. I had no choice but to reluctantly pay up but will know never to let the useless shower of idiots touch my bike again. It’s maybe fortuitous that at the time I didn’t realize just how badly out of tune they had left my bike as I might not have been able to resist inflicting some serious physical damage to the **** who did the work.



08/09/14 – Siem Reap to Stoeng – 97km – Easy

A great start to the day with another Khmer Taste breakfast then hit the road. As is always the case after an extended layup it was great to be back in the saddle. Getting out of Siem Reap took some time as I encountered the heaviest traffic of this trip, even Phnom Penh wasn’t this busy. Thankfully a few kilometers after Psar Leu traffic thinned out & I could start to make up a few km’s. I wanted to make good time as I was unsure if I’d find accommodation in Stoeng or have to push on the extra 50km to Kompong Thom.
Yet again I found myself on a good cycling road with a decent shoulder & surprisingly light traffic (I’ve slowly came to realize I’m cycling during the Pçhum Ben Festival & perhaps that’s why the roads are so quiet). The shoulder varied a lot today but with traffic so light I spent most of my time on the main road. Services were more sparsely available than I’ve become used to & food could take up to 20km to locate, water & soft drinks were rarely more than a few km’s apart.
Fellow cyclists
There were a lot of wicked sleeping policemen today, especially about 15km outside Siem Reap (just past the turning to Anlong Veng). The white paint has eroded away & you don’t spot them in advance. They were vicious taken at speed & next time I will know to drop onto the dusty shoulder for a few km’s & avoid them altogether.
I began to get hungry around the 15km mark but it took another 15km’s before I found any decent food options. The village (Dam Deik, I think) has an array of Khmer fast food type stalls. I opted for beef & liver stir fried with basil which tasted exactly like a Thai krapow neua except this had sliced beef instead of minced beef & less chilies than the Thai’s would throw in. What was a timely & tasty meal came to $1.25 but disappointingly there was no free tea on offer. After the 60 km mark I was ready to eat again but couldn’t spot any eating opportunities. After 20km I gave up & broke open a packet of biscuits to keep me going to Stoeng where I knew I’d find food & hopefully accommodation.
Cycling into Stoeng I noticed what I presumed to be a basic hotel (Khmer sign only) & one guesthouse. I continued on to the centre of town & found the Sokimex Guesthouse. It has a Khmer sign only & indeed I had to ask a moto driver if it was indeed a hotel – its right across from the petrol station. It’s a strange place with an abandoned feel about it. Huge public areas with hundreds of fold down chairs stacked against the walls, yet the feeling no ones used the facilities in years. A very basic room was $5 with fan, cold shower, no toilet seat, no sink, shitty TV reception, no wifi but looking on the bright side I didn’t get bit by anything & it’s very central to the food & drink stalls.  
Absolutely starving by now, I didn’t even unpack the bike, rather headed for the nearest food stall & found pork in a curried peanut sauce (this time Thai style ie with coconut milk) & it was fabulous & amazing value, $1 for pork curry, rice & unlimited free tea.
Through the arch to find the bakery
Later, showered & rested up, I ventured out & found a fairly good bakery (head up the side of the petrol station & just past the new blue building). 2 sugar doughnuts & a chocolate bun came to 87 cents in total. Finally some barbequed chicken & grilled liver ($1.50) saw me retire to my room with the customary beers & ice.

HENG ARYZA GUESTHOUSE (012 399 311)
During my wanderings tonight I came across this guesthouse & for $7/ night it looked so much nicer than the Sokimex GH. It's newly built & everything is spotless & works well. The next time I'm in Stoeng, I'll certainly be staying here instead. Coming from Siem Reap it's a right turn 200 or 300 meters before the river.. There is a sign on the main road which is very noticable when it's light up at night but I completely missed in the daytime. The owner is a really friendly guy who speaks excellent English. It means a dark 10 minute walk to the food/ drink stalls but I'll put up with that.
Photos of both guesthouses here;
http://www.dropshots.com/siamdaze/albums/478942


09/09/14 – Stoeng to Kompong Thom – 50km – Easy

I do love these short rides when I’m relaxed & not in any rush all day, not least in the mornings when I can slowly come to with 2 cups of coffee & even a final cup of tea before heading off. I’ve got out of the habit of shaving without a sink or mirror but managed to muddle through.
Once again it was a great cycle route;- flat with a good road surface, extremely light traffic & perhaps because I was in no hurry today, I took note of & enjoyed the scenery more than I’ve done for a while. The shoulder varied a lot but traffic was so sparse I had little reason to use it other than to dodge some sleeping policemen. There were almost no km signs all day & I had to guess the distances I was making. Water & soft drinks were available pretty much all the way but food was in short supply. All the way from Stoeng to the bridge over Boeng Prey Pras (20km outside Kompong Thom) there was nothing except bananas & very basic noodle soup. At this bridge there are a number of vendors with hammocks in private pavilions. There is a guesthouse & restaurant advertised just before the bridge for anyone with that sinking feeling that they aren’t going to make Kompong Thom by nightfall. I would have checked out their prices & facilities but I was starving & keen to get to the highway 6/ highway 62 junction where I reasoned there would be decent food options (*see note 1). Reaching the junction I found lots of basic restaurants littering the roadside & in one I pointed to stewed pork & egg. It was a decent, filling meal but unusually for this dish it was full of splintered bone. I really hate when I can’t just masticate & swallow my food & instead have to chew carefully, locate & spit out bits of bone.
There is a new & fairly decent looking guesthouse at this junction although as it’s only 6km to Kompong Thom only the weariest cyclist might use it.
I completed a lazy & enjoyable days cycling by going straight to Lonely Planet’s top pick – Arunras Hotel. $6 for a really nice, clean fan room with a large balcony. Wi-Fi didn’t stretch to my room but worked fine in the lobby, the lift saved my weary legs & they have a very secure lock up facility for my bike. Their restaurant was very busy with both Khmers & a few foreigners & a sandwich board outside advertised chicken burgers for $4 & beef burgers for $5. I headed to a local restaurant & had a wonderful beef stew & rice for dinner ($2 including a beer) & I’ve some barbecued chicken & Angkor cans to finish off my night.
Kompong Thom’s not been the friendliest, most hospitable town in Cambodia & I won’t be disappointed to be moving on tomorrow. It’s nothing I can really pin down rather an overall vibe to the whole place.

*NOTE 1; When I’m getting hungry or indeed when I’m planning a route a good bet for finding some decent food options is to head to a major road junction. There are usually a few food stalls and/ or restaurants catering to the buses & vans disgorging & picking up passengers. It’s not an infallible method of finding decent food but it does work most of the time.


10/09/14 – Kompong Thom to Kompong Cham – 110km – Medium

The road deteriorated dramatically today & the 1st 40 to 50km (until the turnoff to highway 71) was often potholed with a fairly rough surface. I’ve been on worse roads (Stung Treng to Kratie springs to mind) and although at times it was slow going it was still very cycleable. With a scarcity of traffic it was actually good fun slaloming between pot holes. I quickly learned the trick was to follow the local motorcycle drivers who know the road & when to descend onto the shoulder & when to bump back up onto the main surface.
Once again there weren’t a lot of food options & it wasn’t until around 20km outside Kompong Thom I passed a row of Khmer style transport cafes. I’m aware of a need to eat more vegetables & so chose stir fried pork, cauliflower & sundry other vegetables. It was really nice & at $1.75 was a bit expensive but I already knew, even in Cambodia, transport cafes aren’t the cheapest places to eat. 
Fortified I pushed forward on highway 6 until the road junction with route 71, which was a bustling little junction town & I didn’t take note but there must have been some restaurants/ food stalls around. I did notice a guesthouse signposted about 2km past the junction.
The first couple of kilometers on road 71 remains a fairly rough road surface but then improves to a very good surface although it’s a very narrow shoulder. The surroundings seemed more prosperous than I’ve been cycling through of late with better, more substantial stilted wooden houses & even some fancy concrete built dwellings. 
Another pit stop at the junction of road 71 & road 222, around 48km from Kompong Cham found me with stir fried pork, mushroom, bean sprouts & sundry other vegetables, with rice & lots of iced tea it came to $1.25 & once again was absolutely wonderful. There is a guesthouse at this junction & it looked fairly decent from the outside.
There was a village of stonemasons
 I continued along a good road surface with light to moderate traffic, a few minor inclines saw me drop a gear or two for the 1st time since the outskirts of Sihanukville. Turning onto highway 7 with about 12 km to go until Kompong Cham a heavy rain started & so my run in on a good road (wide, great shoulder) became a less enjoyable experience.
Checking my Lonely Planet guide they recommended Phnom Pros Hotel for $6 “including all the trimmings such as satellite TV, fridge & hot water”. It’s the first time Lonely Planet’s let me down this trip & the $6 fan room with cold shower, no fridge, was a bit cramped & I’ve stayed in cleaner rooms. Still for $6 it will do for a night & the bikes in a secure parking area.
It’s a shitty night with constant rain & flooded streets. I ventured out to the bakery for $2 worth of doughnuts & chocolate cakes, then the market for some barbequed spare ribs & chicken. Picking up some beers & ice on my way back & it’s going to be another night in.

11/09/14 – Kompong Cham to Prey Veng – 75km (approx) – Easy

A great days cycling today, indeed probably the best day of the trip so far. Started out with a scenic crossing of Kompong Cham’s bridge & onto a wide road with a good shoulder & fairly light traffic passing very picturesque houseboats with fishing nets flying in the air.
It didn’t take long to cover the 15km until the turnoff to highway 11 where there were a lot of restaurants. I chose the busiest looking one – right on the corner as you turn into highway 11 & it was a great choice. Every pan I opened looked appetizing & all their dishes were made with boneless meat, highly unusual for Cambodia. Remembering my vow to eat more vegetables, I opted for the sweet & sour pork & it was lovely & for $1.25 a great filler. Leaving my bike at the restaurant I had a wander around this junction town & noticed a great vibe here & it was an extraordinarily friendly place!
Eventually I pushed on down road 11 & it was a very pleasant cycle with a good road surface. There was little or no shoulder but it didn’t matter as traffic was so sparse all day. Passed a few rubber plantations & then opened out to well tended fields of what, I don’t know, some sort of vegetable or herb but the fragrance was wonderful. An aroma, not dissimilar to mint followed me for a good few kilometers. It was nice to see sugar cane juice vendors back on the roadside today, something I’ve missed for some time now & around 45km outside Prey Veng I stopped for a 25 cent energy boost – it’s really refreshing & amazing the lift this simple drink can give me.
It remained idyllic cycling country with a few minor inclines but hardly worth dropping a gear for. About 20km outside Prey Veng at Svay Antor where there’s lots of eating options I had pork with garlic & rice for $1.25. There’s also a petrol station mini mart if you’re craving ice cream, crisps or some comfort food.
Arriving in Prey Veng I headed straight for Angkor Thom Hotel which I knew from a previous visit when I was attending a Khmer friend’s wedding. For $6 you get a big, well appointed fan room with good TV & Wi-Fi, the staff don’t speak any English though.
By night I didn’t venture further than a tiny night market not far from my hotel where there wasn’t much on offer. I settled for some barbequed Khmer style beef kebabs & a bag of Khmer style pasties which I’ve yet to sample. In retrospect I should have used the hotel’s restaurant & had a hot filling meal.
The electric keeps coming & going tonight & now (8.50pm) the rain in bucketing down.

12/09/14 – Prey Veng to Phnom Penh – 91km – Easy

Angkor Thom Hotel turned out to be quiet & comfortable & I enjoyed a good night’s sleep which set me up nicely for another great days cycling, arguably the best day of this trip so far.
Road 11 from Prey Veng to Neak Loeang was a decent road surface with occasional slightly rough patches. There was no shoulder most of the way but traffic was so sparse that it didn’t matter. Back to scenery of flooded rice paddies, stilted wooden houses & as always lots of colourful local activity. Cold drinks were available all the way but there wasn’t much in the way of food until Neak Loeang (31km from Prey Veng).
Arriving in Neak Loeang I had a huge appetite & checked a few food stalls but the only boneless option I could find was stewed pork, egg & bamboo shoots. For $1 it was a really nice breakfast but then anything would have been good with the appetite I had. I noticed 2 decent looking guesthouses in town but I’m sure there are more to be found.
I’d expected the mundane experience of crossing the river by bridge & was delighted to find the bridge is still under construction (or perhaps repair) & that I’d instead be enjoying the delightful experience of crossing by ferry. I’ve fond memories of this ferry crossing in the past & found it to be one of the most picturesque & photogenic spots in Cambodia. To find out the ferry still runs & indeed is the only way across was the best surprise of this whole trip. I cycled on & enjoyed watching the young vendors go about their business & all the colour & diversity of the passengers. Unfortunately all too soon it was over & time to disembark. I felt like turning around & doing it again. It wasn’t until I was about 5km down the road that I realized no one had charged me & that I’d had a free ride.
I do find Neak Loeang to be an amazingly colourful place & look forward to stopping overnight one day soon.
Highway 1 from Neak Loeang to the outskirts of Phnom Penh was a joy & the best road I’ve been on this trip. Great road surface, great shoulder surface & indeed a shoulder within a shoulder – fantastic & I could really eat up the kilometers. Traffic got steadily heavier the closer I got to Phnom Penh but with the road surface & wonderful shoulder it wasn’t a problem. A sugarcane juice & some biscuits 20km out fortified me for the run into the city.
Around 8km outside Phnom Penh the road deteriorated badly & became a rough potholed nightmare. Easily the worst stretch of road I’ve encountered this whole trip. Traffic started to get a lot heavier & a swirling wind meant dust clouds stinging my eyes & obscuring my vision. Not a pleasant few km’s & suddenly confronted with snarling traffic, noise & pollution I realized I wasn’t quite ready for the big city & felt like turning around & heading back to Neak Loeang.
Crossing the Bassac River I took the 2nd right onto Monivong Blvd & before long was enjoying a chicken pie & chocolate doughnut at ABC bakery before heading to Green Guesthouse. The $8 fan rooms not as good as the one I has before with no writing desk & rather cramped but it will do for tonight.
At night I headed to the Golden Soraya Mall where I thought I’d enjoy a cheap jug of beer, write up some notes & watch life going by but I’d no sooner ordered a jug of beer when one of the local expat “characters” joined me uninvited. All he wanted to do was whinge about how unfriendly, dishonest & untrustworthy the Cambodian people are & like many of the Phnom Penh expats was so bloody negative about everything Cambodian. I understand it’s the big city niggles getting to them & slowly grinding them down but having just had the most wonderful 4 week trip, experiencing overwhelming friendliness & hospitality at every turn I just couldn’t handle listening to such negativity.

16/09/14 – Phnom Penh – Attempted bike repairs

Bike shops around the Capitol GH
It’s been an extended layup in Phnom Penh as I waited on the passport office to open on Monday & then today arranged a certified copy of my passport ($51 for a signature – bloody annoying to say the least). I’ve not really enjoyed Phnom Penh this time around, not least because I don’t like my room in Green Guesthouse but have been too lazy to move.

A visit to Giant bikes for a free service & to get my gears sorted put me in a foul mood. Initially they were adamant that there was nothing wrong with my gears until I insist the mechanic actually ride the bike. He then decided I needed a new rear cassette for $15, when I told him the cassette was only a week old he decided I needed a new chain instead ($15). He fitted the chain & declared it was running perfect except for the fact that the lowest 2 gears didn’t work. I snapped & threw a bit of a tantrum, told the mechanic to fit the old chain back on, told the manager she should be ashamed to be selling a heap of shit that doesn’t last 7 months & cycled off. In fairness I think I was venting my anger at Grasshoppers incompetence & Giant were getting the brunt of my frustrations. Still, I expected more competence from Giant mechanics & better quality from their bikes. For a rear cassette to wear out in 7 months is pretty pathetic, not to mention a tyre, brake pads & sundry other items that have needed replacing. I’ll just have to nurse her back to Sihanukville where I can hopefully have her repaired properly.
I’m really looking forward to getting off tomorrow!

17/09/14 – Phnom Penh to Angk Ta Saom – 93km (approx) – Easy

Getting out of Phnom Penh
I found it easier to get onto highway 2 this time around by going straight down Monireth Blvd & turning onto street 217 which leads to highway 2. Assisted by Google maps & reasonable signposting in Phnom Penh it was pretty hard to go wrong. The road conditions were a repeat of my report dated 22/08/14 except a constant drizzle meant it was more muddy in patches.
I stopped around the 40km mark in a small town with a few fast food restaurants. A really tasty with pork liver & string beans cost $1.50. All day I’d been considering bypassing Takeo & pushing on to Angk Ta Saom but I knew a good guesthouse in Takeo & there’s a better variety of eating establishments. Arriving in Takeo around 4.30pm to find Daunkeo Guesthouse was full (or at least the cheaper fan rooms were full) I decided to push on the extra 15km.
Arriving in Angk Ta Saom I had a cycle around & found Sokhom Guesthouse with big $5 fan rooms, nice bathroom & set off the main road, therefore an extremely quiet setting. I really was impressed & for $5 it’s probably the best value I’ve had this trip. The bike is parked in a covered parking area & securely chained to a water pipe. Wi-Fi works in the downstairs lobby but not in the room. The family/ staff are extremely friendly & helpful but speak no English. Coming from Takeo as you arrive at the junction with highway 3, turn right & after about 200 meters you will see the sign on the left hand side of the road.
Angk Ta Saom has a few restaurants attached to the hotels & a few basic restaurants & food stalls, including a row of rice soup with chicken & tukaloc (fruit shake) stalls. There are lots of vendors selling grilled meats to the mini bus passengers, 3 bakeries & a petrol station mini mart. Nothing overly exciting but it’s a satisfactory place for an overnight stop & everyone’s very friendly & helpful.
I had some stir fried beef, green pepper & liver with rice for $1 from a rather fierce looking vendor & then some grilled chicken & 2 sweet corn cobs to take back to the room with the customary bag of beers & ice. 
Photos of Sokhom Guesthouse here;-
http://www.dropshots.com/siamdaze/albums/478943


18/09/14 – Angk Ta Soam to Kampot – 75km (approx) – Easy

I enjoyed a good night’s sleep in Sokhom Guesthouse although it was sporadically noisy in the morning with Khmers checking out & the echoy corridors magnifying the noise. The shower was lukewarm which is nice but also means it’s a scorcher of a day outside.
I’ve described the road already in report dated 21/08/14. After about 20km I stopped for a fairly decent chicken, ginger & rice ($1.25). Around the 30 to 35km mark there’s a junction town (perhaps Chhuk) with lots of basic restaurants and a guesthouse. It didn’t look like the worst place to overnight coming to/ from Sihanukville or Phnom Penh.
Early afternoon & another pit stop where I enjoyed a sugar cane juice & some fruit cake that I’d bought in Phnom Penh that sustained me the rest of the way to Kampot. Arriving in Kampot, I headed straight to Kampot 2 guesthouse & a big &6 fan room that I can lock the bike in.
In the evening I tried Captain Chims restaurant where the $3 chicken amok was tasty enough but severely lacking chicken. Chicken breast is $4.50/ kilo from a supermarket in Cambodia, cheaper in the markets. It surely wouldn’t hurt these restaurants to put 150 gram or 200 gram of meat into a $3 meal. I am looking forward to getting back to Romdoul’s chicken cordon bleu, Heng’s sweet & sour pork & Sovann’s full Western breakfast.




19/09/14 – Kampot to Sihanukville – 100km – Medium

I’ve given today’s ride a medium grade partly as I only had one fully operating gear (then lowest) which was less than ideal when tackling the hills into Sihanukville & also because the final 40km from the Veal Renh turnoff wasn’t enjoyable with a 2 or 3 inch drop onto the shoulder & when oncoming vehicles were overtaking they made no allowance for the lone cyclist. Otherwise road conditions are as recorded on 19 & 20/08/14.
Unusual for Kampot 2 Guesthouse it was noisy this morning with the staff chatting right outside my room. Normally I’d have given them an earful but as it was time to get up anyway I put up with it. 09.30am I set off but it wasn’t long until hunger pangs assailed me & I pulled into the first restaurant I saw. It was my 1st marinated, barbecued pork & rice for some time & it was very good, especially the accompanying soup with a beautiful lump of simmered pork. It reminded me of my mother’s Scots broth made with a slowly simmered ham end. For $1.25 it was a nice breakfast.
Another pit stop in Veal Renh where I enjoyed an absolutely beautiful spare rib & vegetable soup & it was probably the best meal I’ve had this trip. Pork ribs, cabbage, mushroom, carrot in a wonderful broth for $1.25.
I considered having a night in Veal Renh, the perfect place to update my notes & relax but I decided to push on to Sihanukville where I could catch up with some mates & get back to my laptop. I’ve always wanted to cycle the back route from Veal Renh to Sihanukville but with only one effective gear I knew it would be impractical. Pushing on down highway 4 it was a shock to be back to relatively heavy traffic & with a large drop onto the shoulder making riding uncomfortable. Oncoming traffic made no allowances when overtaking & on four occasions I was shaking my fist & cursing as I was forced off the road.
The hills into Sihanukville were a challenge to say the least with only my lowest gear working & I was cursing Grasshopper of Siem Reap all the way into town. I finally arrived back at Romdouls restaurant at 5pm, pretty exhausted & looking forward to a few days of rest. Thankfully Okata Hotel had an $8 room & I could bask in a warm shower before enjoying a chicken cordon Bleu with fried potatoes at Romdouls restaurant then downing a good few beers with some mates.







Conclusions & overall costs
This was a pretty wonderful cycle ride. It very much reminded me of the Mekong Delta in Vietnam where everything is so flat making for effortless cycling & distances between towns more than manageable. I was extremely surprised how light the traffic was on most of this route. The friendliness, honesty, good humor & hospitality of the locals was not a surprise as I already knew what a wonderful people the Khmers are. I thought the food enroute was generally fantastic but as a hungry cyclist building up huge appetites then probably anything would have tasted delicious, for sure it was often astonishingly cheap.
Accommodation enroute cost from $5/ night to $8/ night & was always at least satisfactory, no bedbugs & surprisingly not one cockroach sharing my room the entire trip. Compared to neighboring countries rooms in Cambodia are an absolute bargain.
Of the 1,443km covered only a 40km section between Kompong Chhnang & Pursat & the final 40km from Veal Renh to Sihanukville was there any sense of “danger”, when I had to watch out & concentrate hard. The other 1,363km were an absolute joy except perhaps the initial 40 km between Kompong Thon & Kompong Cham which was a bit rough.
I really did have a fantastic time & as I sit here in Sihanukville one week later I can’t wait to get off again. Having new experiences & new adventures every day becomes addictive & I find it hard to settle down even in a paradise like Sihanukville.

Stripping out extraordinary costs (e.g. Smartphone & bicycle shorts purchased, bike repairs) I spent $714 in 34 days or $21/ day.
An approximate breakdown would be;-
Room - $7/day
Beer - $6/day (i.e. 12 cans)
Food - $5 to $6/ day
Misc - $2 to $3/day (water, cigarettes, toiletries etc)

I would add $5 to $8 per day to this budget if you like aircon rooms & another $5 to $8 if you prefer formal restaurants with menus & serving staff.


1 comment:

  1. I read your recipe descriptions and try to make this. But could not making that. But it is really delicious to all and but to me. I have some recipe ideas. Please visit this. Favorite Food

    ReplyDelete