Wednesday, December 9, 2015

THAILAND, Along the Cambodian border & following the Mekong to Nong Khai

MAP of my journey HERE & HERE
LIST OF CONTENTS

INTRODUCTION
22/07/15 – Aranya Prathet to Non Din Daeng (via Pakham) – 120km (approx) – Easy/Medium
23/07/15 – Non Din Daeng to Prasat – 92km – Easy
24/07/15 – Prasat to Sangkha – 50km – Easy
25/07/15 – Sangkha to Kantharalak – 90km – Easy
26/07/15 – Kantharalak to Det Udom – 60km – Easy
27/07/15 – Det Udom to Ubon Ratchathani – 50km – Easy
29/07/15 – Ubon Ratchathani to Khemmarat – 102km – Easy
30/07/15 – Khemmarat to Mukdahan – 85km – Easy/Medium
01/08/15 – Mukdahan to That Phanom – 50km – Easy
02/08/15 – That Phanom to Nakhon Phanom – 53km – Easy
03/08/15 – Nakhon Phanom to Ban Pheang – 100km (approx) – Medium
04/08/15 – Ban Phaeng to Bueng Kan – 85km – Easy..ish
05/08/15 – Bueng Kan to Pak Khat – 47km – Easy/Medium
06/08/15 – Pak Khat to Phon Phisai – 47km – Easy
07/08/15 – Phon Phisai to Udon Thani – 85km – Medium
08/08/15 – Udon Thani
09/08/15 – Udon Thani to Nong Khai – 56km – Easy
11/08/15 – Nong Khai to Si Chiang Mai – 50km (approx) – Easy
12/08/15 – Si Chiang Mai to Nong Khai – 50km (approx) – Easy
14/08/15 – Nong Khai to Vientiane – 28km - Easy
CONCLUSIONS & OVERALL COSTS

INTRODUCTION
I’d spent the night in Aranya Prathet wondering if I really wanted to be in Thailand & contemplating returning to Cambodia. The beer gets more expensive every time I come, the TV is just 50 channels of Thai rubbish with no English channels, cheap hotels are often hard to come by & smoking is forbidden in more & more places. I’m so glad I decided to persevere & continue on this trip through Thailand & was to rediscover my love of the country & its people. In the following few weeks I enjoyed some wonderful food, friendly, hospitable locals, very courteous drivers, great roads & wonderful scenery – indeed one of the best trips I’ve had on a cycle, despite traveling at the height of the rainy season.
On much of this trip places to eat were scarcer than I’m used to in Thailand & when I did spot one they didn’t speak any English & often didn’t even have a Thai menu – the Thai’s instinctively know what’s on offer. For people who don’t speak Thai, I’d highly recommend carrying a crib sheet with the most popular stir fries any Thai cook can throw together. Chicken/ pork fried rice, pork with basil & chili, chicken & garlic etc, etc. I recon it would make life a lot easier & save cycling on an empty stomach on many occasions.
Throughout this report I’ve used an exchange rate of 35 baht to the American dollar.

22/07/15 – Aranya Prathet to Non Din Daeng (via Pakham) – 120km (approx) – Easy/ Medium
MAP of today's journey HERE
I’d stayed in Market Motel which was good value with an $8 fan room; although with my room adjacent to their restaurant it was a bit noisy. Aranya Prathet’s a pleasant enough place for an overnight stopover but there wasn’t much to entice me to hang around longer.
I started out along road 348 on a great road surface, traffic wasn’t particularly heavy but it’s a lot faster moving than I’m used to in Cambodia & I was glad to have the benefit of a wide shoulder. Mature trees lined the roadside providing shade & pleasant green scenery. All day food options were far sparser than I’m used to in Thailand & it wasn’t until around the 25km mark I spotted a small roadside restaurant & ordered a pork fried rice ($1.10).
On occasion I did manage to cut off the main road onto local dirt tracks which passed through pleasant countryside but with rutted, potholed surfaces it was painfully slow going & I was glad when I got back onto the main roads
Painfully slow going
I’d been enjoying the sight of the hills of Phraya National Park covered in dense forest getting ever closer & steeled myself for the 300 meter climb to come. It proved to be a fairly steep gradient at times & worse, the shoulder disappeared to be replaced with a 3 foot drop into a concrete drainage ditch. With fast moving traffic passing in convoys I needed all my attention on the road & to enjoy the views I had to stop before looking around with the subsequent effort of getting going again on a steep uphill gradient. In the end I gave up & just pushed my bike uphill enjoying the views at my leisure, with the dense forest coming right to the roadside it meant a pleasant, shaded push uphill.
As soon as I reached the top the wide shoulder reappeared & was to remain with me for the rest of the day. The second 300 meter climb indicated on Google Maps didn’t materialize & from then on it was pleasant cycling on good roads with lovely green scenery.
As I passed through Non Din Daeng around 4pm I noticed a small night market being set up, a 7’11’ store & a few motels, one of which advertised rooms for 250 baht. I was tempted to stop but wanted to make it to Pakham which looked to be a bigger, more vibrant town on Google Maps. Pushing on the last 15km I arrived & found Pakham was a tiny village with few services (except for a small Tesco Lotus) & no hotel that I could find. At 5pm I decided to play safe & backtrack to Non Din Daeng.
Checking around I found the motel just as you turn onto road 348 (with prominent signs advertising 250 baht i.e. $7) was by far the best value with a really nice fan room, reasonable Wi-Fi & hot shower although the mattress was rock hard & it’s a km or so from the town centre & night market. I made it to the night market just as it was closing down at 7pm & picked up some food along with some beers from the 7’11’. 

23/07/15 – Non Din Daeng to Prasat – 92km – Easy
MAP of today's journey HERE
A comfortable night in my $7 room although the mattress was as hard as nails. My usual slow start to the day before heading out onto road 2120, a single lane road with a good surface & trees shading me on both sides. A typical Asian landscape of lush green paddy fields, vegetable plantations & occasional roadside villages made pleasant scenery.
Once again I did try to veer off onto country tracks but to be honest the potholed dirt trails were such slow going it was always good to get back to tarmac roads & make decent time again. Traffic when it came was fast moving but in general it was fairly light & at times I had the road completely to myself. Google Maps indicated I’d be going over a couple of 200 meter hills but if I did, I certainly didn’t notice & everything was on a very gentle gradient.
Just before Prakhon Chai I passed through a couple of really tranquil, idyllic villages with a few home stays advertised; presumably catering to visitors to Prasat Phanom Rung. Prakhon Chai itself is a vibrant looking town & certainly the biggest I’ve passed since Aranya Prathet.
Turning onto highway 24 for the final 35km to Prasat was a bit of a shock as I was suddenly back on a major highway with heavy, fast moving traffic; not oppressive or dangerous, just not enjoyable cycling. Not the best end to what had been an enjoyable day in the saddle.
There were lots of accommodation options in Prasat but all in the $12 to $17 bracket (see note 1). I did find one place with $10 rooms but couldn’t get the Wi-Fi password from the owner (I’ve since realized she needed a Thai script keyboard & couldn’t work my English keyboard). Eventually I ended up at The Modern Home with a really nice A/C room, fridge etc for $13. It’s much more than I wanted to pay but suspect it’s something I’m going to have to get used to.
A lovely ping plaa (grilled fish rubbed in sea salt & stuffed with lemongrass) for dinner ($2) & with yet another rainy night in store I retired to my room with a bag of beers for the fridge.
NOTE; Most signs for hotels/ motels (or resorts as Thai’s call them) in this area are in Thai script only & can be hard to spot; look out for signs or billboards with 24hrs & Wi-Fi which will generally reflect accommodation of some sort. Don’t be put off if the sign says 800 or 900 as often that’s how many meters to the location as opposed to the price of a room.  


24/07/15 – Prasat to Sangkha – 50km – Easy

I enjoyed a comfortable, quiet night in Modern Home & awoke refreshed & keen to get moving again. My original plan was to cycle down road 214 to Chong Chom & then back up road 2283 to Sangkha but realizing I really needed to find a bank & change some money I decided to use the faster, shorter route on road 24.
It was a nicer road than I’d expected & occasionally moderately heavy, fast moving traffic wasn’t a problem as I always had a wonderful wide shoulder. A great road surface meant I made good time & with most of the roadside lined with mature trees it was a pleasant, shaded environment to cycle through. With lush green countryside, water buffalo wallowing in mud pools & butterflies flirting around it didn’t feel like a main road at all.
Services were much sparser than I’ve come to expect in Thailand & it wasn’t until 25km down the road that I spotted a rustic restaurant & pulled in for a wonderful pork fried rice ($1).
Arriving in Sangkha early afternoon my first stop was a bank to change some money (see note) then I went hunting for a room. I cycled around for 90 minutes but just couldn’t find any hotels at all. Eventually I headed to the local bus terminal & asked some motorbike taxi drivers who directed me to Ratcha resort where I found an $11 A/C room (no fridge).
At night I had some food at the local night market before heading to the Tesco Lotus for some beers & snacks for the room. As I was perusing the shelves a young boy began to piss in the aisles, his father noticed & picked him up & whisked him outside to finish off much as you would with a young puppy. It felt good to be amongst unpretentious country people, indeed Sangkha’s been an incredibly friendly little town & every transaction I’ve had has been an absolute pleasure. 
11pm – It’s Friday night & there’s a gang of adolescents in a nearby room which means motorbikes racing in & out all night but worse is a drama queen pissed on cheap Thai whisky. She’s been a caterwauling pain all night & I’m hoping she passes out soon.


NOTE;- I brought a lot of dollars to exchange to baht as I loathe paying the 180 baht ATM fee that all Thai banks charge. However I’ve realized the Thai banks & exchanges take 1 ½% on the exchange rate so carry a lot of $ won’t work out any cheaper than using ATM’s.

25/07/15 – Sangkha to Kantharalak – 90km – Easy
 
I enjoyed a comfortable night in Ratcha Resort despite the adolescent antics going on a few doors down. I headed off down road 24 for another very pleasant day cycling on a good road surface; vivid green countryside all around & often shaded under the canopy of mature trees which lined the roadside.  Fast moving convoys of traffic would occasionally shake me out of my daydreams but on the whole it was a pleasant, relaxed cycle ride.
Around 10km into the day I was fairly ravenously hungry but it wasn’t until around the 25km mark that I spotted a rustic restaurant. None of these places understand English & most often don’t even have a Thai menu, their customers instinctively know what’s on offer. Thankfully my Thai is good enough to order some basic Thai dishes & I enjoyed a minced pork, chili & basil over rice ($1.20).
Around 25km outside Kantharalak I hit some roadwork’s & found myself cycling over freshly laid tar which spatters up & covers everything, my legs, shorts, shirt, arms, dustcover & worse my chain & derailleur’s. Impervious to soap & water I know from past experience I’ll be picking bits of tar off my arms & legs for days & I don’t know how much damage it will do to my chain & derailleur’s.
Roadkill
Arriving in Kantharalak around 4pm I had a cycle around & there were lots of accommodation options. I probably made a bad choice selecting SB Hotel with a clean, if cramped $7 fan room but the owner was just so nice I didn’t like to walk away & it is good value.
Kantharalak’s a frustrating place at night & I wandered the whole town looking for something good to eat only to settle for some chicken over rice & some junk food from the 7’11’. I’m actually very tempted to head for a big city just to find a decent Thai night market with some sit down options (see note).

NOTE;- By Thai night market I mean a market full of food stalls that spring up around 5pm in most Thai towns. In the smaller towns it’s mostly, if not all, take away food but in large towns & cities it’s a vibrant, fun filled area with tables & chairs where you can enjoy great Thai food, a beer & enjoy being in the centre of some vibrant nightlife.   

26/07/15 – Kantharalak to Det Udom – 60km – Easy
Map of today's journey HERE
I awoke to a drizzly morning which was to continue all day. It got worse as I tried to pump some extra air into my tyres & discovered my pump is broken. Everything seems to be falling apart at the same time; my sandals are held together with duct tape, my watch works intermittently, my daypack strap is superglued in place, my camera has a mind of its own & only works when it wants to & now I find my pump gives up the ghost. I really need to get to a big town & restock soon.
Not trusting Google Maps to give me a location fix (the GPS only works intermittently) I opted out of using some intriguing rural roads & “played safe” by sticking with more major roads. The initial run up road 2085 was a fairly uninteresting, bland cycle run but turning back onto road 24 & it was back to very pleasant cycling. A good road surface lined with mature trees & vibrant green farmland all around. The traffic was fairly light & always considerate of the elderly cyclist, indeed often giving me a toot of encouragement as they passed by. Lots of shouts of encouragement from passengers in the back of pickups & even the police at the sporadic checkpoints often gave me a salute or “chook dii khrap” (good luck) as I passed by.
A lunch stop for a pork fried rice ($1.20) fortified me for the run into Det Udom & when I told the vendor “alloy maak khrap” (delicious) her face broke out in the most wonderful smile – another magic moment. Arriving early afternoon I cycled around town & there are lots of motels in the $11.50 to $14 range. I picked one at random & it’s OK for $11.50 but again I’d much prefer a simple $9 fan room.
It’s strange, I find in this the rainy season I can cycle all day in the rain quite happily yet as soon as I get to town I suddenly want to get out of the rain – It’s not as if I could get any more soaked. By night I enjoyed a wander through the local night market where I picked up a whole grilled fish ($2) & some absolutely delicious chocolate balls ($1) before picking up some beers from the 7’11’. 



27/07/15 – Det Udom to Ubon Ratchathani – 50km – Easy

26 x 4 inch tyres seem popular
My original plan was to cycle to Phibum Mangsahan but a desperate need to replace failing equipment & the appeal of a big city night market found me heading to Ubon Ratchathani instead. It was a pretty uneventful ride except for a puncture early on, thankfully I’d stripped down my pump last night & the repairs I’d done were enough to get her working again.
Passing through fertile green farmland was pleasant enough but the towering green trees lining the roadside were absent today giving the route a more boring, desolate aspect. Traffic volume picked up on the outskirts of Ubon but was never oppressive, indeed typical of Thai drivers they were courteous & considerate of the cyclists in their midst.
It had been yet another day of constant drizzle & passing through areas of roadworks with a wet red clay surface meant I arrived covered in mud. A quick look around & I ended up at Fundee 1 Mansions, 18 Chayangkul 38, T. Naimuang (reviews available on Trip Advisor) with a $10 A/C room with fridge & hot shower. It’s in the old block (the new block is $14/ night) & is good value but the Wi-Fi doesn’t reach the room.

Tomorrow I’m looking forward to a day off for banking, shopping & eating.

29/07/15 – Ubon Ratchathani to Khemmarat – 102km – Easy
MAP of today's journey HERE
With my hotel located on the Northern outskirts of Ubon city it didn’t take me long to get out of heavy city traffic & onto route 2050. The road varied a lot today, mostly it was a good road surface with a wide shoulder but occasionally the shoulder would disappear & at times the surface deteriorated & became a rough, jarring ride. The whole day was a series of mild undulations & nearing Khemmarat they became more pronounced & had me rapidly dropping down the gears.
The scenery was pleasant enough without being dramatic, more fertile green farmland but I did miss the majestic trees lining the roadside that I’d become used to on road 24. Yet another day of constant drizzle, not unpleasant to cycle in although I do worry about keeping my phone & camera dry.
My day off in Ubon had done me good & I found myself effortlessly making good time, arriving in Khemmarat around 4pm. It took me a long time cycling around looking for a hotel, eventually finding a $10 A/C room with hot shower on the road adjacent to the riverfront (Thai sign only). There were a few nice “resorts” on the riverfront but I just presumed they would be out with my price range.
Heading out at night for some food & beer I walked straight into local celebrations for Buddhist lent. A parade of impressive wax carvings mostly celebrating the king & his reign, beauty contests, local singers, shadow puppets & many people dressed up in traditional costumes. It should have been really interesting & provided some great photo opportunities but I was tired & irritable & I just wanted to find some food & beer without having to fight my way through crowds of cheery revelers.
It’s a concern as from tomorrow there’s a 2 day prohibition on selling alcohol & unless I can find an easy going shopkeeper in Mukdahan it’s going to be a boring, sober stopover there.
pork, chili, basil & fried egg - delicious
At one point today cycling along in a pleasant daze a lady suddenly appeared in the middle of the road, arms splayed & shouting “stop, “stop”! Stopping as commanded it became evident she was fairly well inebriated. Displaying fairly good English she said “I want to go with you but how to do (indicating my bike)”.
Noticing some tattoos on her arms & legs I immediately assumed she was probably an x Pattaya (or Bangkok) bar girl. I have to confess it was tempting to say “OK” & see where things led. I do find some of these ladies can be extremely good fun to hang out with and can be astonishingly good company although a few can also be a right pain in the butt. Unfortunately I still had a long distance to cover & didn’t have time to dawdle, although I’m sitting here wondering what would have happened if I lingered or arranged to meet her here in Khemmarat.

30/07/15 – Khemmarat to Mukdahan – 85km – Easy/Medium
MAP of today's journey HERE
It’s been a great days cycling on possibly the most enjoyable road I’ve encountered in Thailand, a tranquil, peaceful ride with pleasant scenery on route. I cycled a few km’s along road 202 before turning off onto road 2242 where the volume of traffic decreased & the pace of life slowed right down. 
All day the roads undulated over a series of rolling hills & I found the 1st 25km fairly difficult until I got some breakfast inside me at Ban Bung Khiew, the 1st restaurant I’d spotted today. Thereafter the undulations seemed to get a bit tamer.
Generally it was a good road surface with a decent shoulder although there were sporadic sections of broken, potholed surfaces. All day traffic was extremely light, indeed often I had the road completely to myself & could enjoy the company of butterflies, birdsong & insect choirs.
Much of the day the road passed through grooves of majestic trees & on occasion thick jungle lined both sides. Fertile green farmland, small hamlets & often vivid green paddy fields springing to life now that the rain is here. Lots of waves & cheery shouts of “hello” as I passed by, not just from the kids but as often from the adults, especially the older guys. It really has been a great days cycling although the dogs are getting more boisterous & occasionally want to run after me barking & biting at my ankle, so far a loud, authoritative “PAI” has been enough to stop them in their tracks.
Despite a fairly torrential downpour mid afternoon I pushed on, wanting to arrive in Mukdahan early enough to find a hotel & also a laundry. I eventually ended up at Kin Jek Sin Hotel with a $7 fan room, it’s a nice big room but everything is well worn, the staff are positively surly & the shower was ice cold. Still great value & I used to pay the same price 10 years ago, granted there’s been absolutely no maintenance done in those 10 years.
I had a quick shower before rushing down to a laundry shop with a bag of stinking clothes then a wander around the night market where I enjoyed some lovely Thai food. The 7’11’s aren’t selling beer but I managed to “blag it” in the Tesco Lotus where despite notices to the contrary the young girl was too embarrassed to tell me I couldn’t purchase beer (Buddhist lent). I love being an old man in Asia where the kids are too well mannered to tell me I can’t do something.
I’m looking forward to a good look around Mukdahan tomorrow, I’ve had many a great night here in my younger days & it will be interesting to see what changes have taken place. 


01/08/15 – Mukdahan to That Phanom – 50km – Easy
MAP of today's journey HERE
Mango, sticky rice & coconut milk
An enjoyable day off in Mukdahan rekindling memories of almost getting married to a local lass & visiting a friend who lives on the outskirts. I enjoyed some wonderful food in the local market & an afternoon lazing around the riverside.
Beautiful wooden houses
I couldn’t face another icy cold shower & used some empty water bottles to fashion a warm mandi. Packed up & off by 10am & still not a word, smile or even acknowledgement that I existed from any of the staff at Kim Jek Sin, strange because other than this hotel Mukdahan’s a friendly, hospitable little town.
It proved to be another wonderful days cycling. The 1st 10km ran alongside the Mekong river passing through Mukdahans urban sprawl with posh villas juxtaposed with traditional stilted wooden houses & newly built riverside apartment blocks.
Thereafter the road opened out into vivid green countryside, the roadside lined with thick green foliage or passing beneath canopies of mature trees. Add in a good road surface & light traffic & it really was a great route to cycle. Once again lots of shouts of “hello” as often from the older guys as from the kids. Numerous absolutely beautiful wooden houses came & went as did ornately decorated Wats. Frustratingly, a day of constant rain meant I was unable to capture a photo most of the time.  
In That Phanom I had a leisurely cycle around looking for a room. It’s a pretty little town with the riverside streets full of character & the centre dominated by Wat Phra & Ong Doem Stupa. I eventually chose Pin Place Hotel on road 212, $11.50 for a nice big A/C room with fridge & hot shower.

Arriving early, my plan to explore the town & check out the main sights came to naught as the rain continued & I had no inclination to get another set of clothes wet. I contented myself with a dash to the Tesco Lotus for some food & beer for the room & it’s one of the few nights when I’ve missed having an English language movie channel.


02/08/15 – That Phanom to Nakhon Phanom - 53km – Easy

Another good days cycling; I’d expected road 212 to be a quieter country road but in reality it turned out to be a major road but with a wonderful wide shoulder & fairly light traffic it was still an enjoyable road to cycle.
Once again I had an enjoyable backdrop to my cycling with vivid green scenery whether towering trees lining the roadside, fertile farmland or dense vegetation. Much of the time the road followed the Mekong River with views across to Laos’s jungle, occasional settlements & its mountainous interior.
Another day of constant rain meant I kept my camera safe & dry, missing out on numerous photo opportunities. Lots of Thai cyclists out & about today with one guy pulling alongside for a chat & explaining they are training for “cycling for Mum day”, a Nationwide cycling event promoted by the Kings wife. It really seems to have captured the nation’s interest & everywhere I go there are posters advertising the event.
Laos mountainous interior
Not many services today & I cycled the mid 25km absolutely starving but unable to find a restaurant or food stall, perhaps they don’t open on a Sunday. It wasn’t until 15km outside Nakhon Phanom that I spotted a rustic wee café & absolutely devoured a pork fried rice ($1). Not for the first time the owner was incredibly interested in where I was going, where I’d come from & seemed really impressed at an old guy traveling by bicycle. Unlike Cambodia where they will ask where you’re going or where you’ve come from only to frown & ask “why don’t you buy a motorbike?”


Arriving in Nakhon Phanom early it took me a long time to find an $11.50 room & even then it’s not the nicest $11.50 room I’ve ever had. Still hot shower, fridge, Al Jazera news channel & the managers really friendly & helpful despite speaking no English what so ever. I had a quick look around town which is absolutely packed with elaborately decorated temples & by night enjoyed some food in the local night market before retiring to my room with the customary bag of beers.

03/08/15 – Nakhon Phanom to Ban Phaeng – 100km (approx) – Medium
Map of today's journey HERE
Normally this would probably merit an easy grade but I just had one of those days when things caught up with me & I just didn’t have any power in my legs. With minor undulations on mild gradients it shouldn’t have been too difficult but I found I had to drop way down the gears for even the most minor incline.
Despite my lethargy it was another great days cycling with yet more vibrant green countryside, roads lined with majestic trees, thick jungle or opening out into fertile farmland. Often I enjoyed views across the Mekong to Laos rugged, mountainous interior & glittering Wats appeared at regular intervals. Butterflies, birdsong & insect choirs were my constant companions.
I’d planned to leave road 212 around the halfway mark & use an intriguing road that runs alongside the Mekong but completely missed the turnoff. Not a problem as road 212 proved to be a very enjoyable road to cycle with a nice wide shoulder & great scenery.  Services were again extremely sparse & indeed on the mid section I couldn’t even find a place to replenish my water. I was down to my last few sips before I found a small shop 20km outside Ban Phaeng.
OK, OK - I get the message!
Arriving in Ban Phaeng around 5pm I cycled around town but couldn’t find any hotels or resorts. Trying the main highway I spotted a hotel near a small Tesco Lotus which looked to be out of my price range. It’s always worth asking & I was pleasantly surprised to find JB Place had extremely nice, well appointed rooms for 400 baht ($11.50). By night I didn’t venture further than the Tesco Lotus where I picked up some food & beer for the room.
There was a point today when I stopped for a pork, basil & chili over rice & the vendor spoke English; I realized it’s actually the first time I’ve had a conversation in English since Aranya Prathet. 


04/08/15 – Ban Phaeng to Bueng Kan – 85km – Easy…ish

JB Place was a really comfortable room & great value for $11.50 – it just shows even when a place looks out with my price range it’s always worth asking anyway.
It would have been another great days cycling except all day there’s been sudden & dramatic changes in the weather. I’d be cycling along in blazing sunshine thinking I should stop & dig out my sunscreen the next minute it’s torrential rain & I’m racing to get my raincoat out. All day jacket on, jacket off, jacket on………………………………..With torrential rain visibility is severely reduced & I’m tempted to find shelter & wait it out but who knows, it could be on for the day & so I tend to persevere despite the more dangerous conditions.
Getting a good wash
It was a good road surface but a much narrower shoulder than I’ve become used to, coupled with torrential rain & reduced visibility, I did feel vulnerable at times. The scenery was once again very enjoyable with occasional views across the Mekong to Laos forested, mountainous interior; majestic trees lined the roadside with often thick, impenetrable jungle behind. Unfortunately the conditions prevented me from getting my camera out much of the time.
Looking across to Laos
As happened yesterday, I was caught out by the lack of services on offer & spent the mid 40km starving & running ever lower on water. It wasn’t until the junction with road 2013 that I found some services, stocked up on water & absolutely devoured a pork fried rice ($1). Perhaps by this stage I’ve got a desperate look in my eye but the vendors seem to instinctively know I’m a starving cyclist & give me absolutely huge portions.
Arriving in Bueng Kan I had a cycle around looking for a room. There’s lots of options & the town is full of hotels, guesthouses & “resorts” but they were all $13 or more. I eventually found an apartment block with rooms for $10 (no fridge). It’s primarily monthly rentals but they have a few rooms for daily rent. Very friendly & hospitable, not only the owners but all the other Thai tenants, a few of whom are keen cyclists themselves.  

Early evening I found a small restaurant & had a wonderful chicken in sweet chili sauce ($1.80) before picking up some beers for the room which I enjoyed on the balcony chatting to some Thai tenants. It’s been heartening for me that my Thai language skills have resurfaced fairly quickly, I had worried after so long away I would have lost much of my vocabulary but I’ve found no problems with communications albeit on a fairly basic level.

05/08/15 – Bueng Kan to Pak Khat – 47km – Easy/Medium

I couldn’t decide whether to have a day off & look around Bueng Kan or push on 95km to Phon Phisai & in the end compromised with a nice short hop to Pak Khat.
A quick breakfast of pork, basil & chili over rice before rejoining road 212. The initial few km’s was on a bland, boring 4 lane highway but soon enough it narrowed down to the 2 lane road I’m used to. Thereafter it was once again lovely cycling with more of the same; tree lined roads, dense foliage, views across the Mekong to Laos’s mountainous interior & vibrant, fertile farmland all around. Despite a fairly narrow shoulder traffic never felt oppressive.
An undulating road with occasional prolonged assents meant it wasn’t exactly an easy ride, but it was all very manageable, especially only having 47km to cover. I do love doing these short distances on occasion when I can stop often, enjoy the views & still arrive in the early afternoon.
About 4km before Pak Khat there began to appear numerous “resorts” some advertising rates of 200 baht ($6) although whether that’s for a night (as opposed to by the hour) I don’t know. With lots of time to cycle around town & check out rooms I ended up at Mekong River Resort with an $11.50 room; A/C, hot shower, fridge etc & river views from my room.
A torrential downpour meant I spent the afternoon lazing around the room & catching up with e-mails before venturing out for a pretty wonderful Waterfall beef with sticky rice ($1.80). Wandering along the riverfront I noticed some foreigners drinking beers at a stone table outside a small shop. Joining them I was in the mood for some English speaking company but it soon became clear they were bored expats with nothing to do but bitch & moan about every aspect of life in Thailand. It was a pretty tedious experience & I could only put up with their company for one beer before grabbing a carry out for the room. 

06/08/15 – Pak Khat to Phon Phisai – 47km – Easy

It really has been a great day & I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. A lovely start to the day with a wonderful pork, basil, chili & fried egg over rice ($1.40) before drawing 14,000 baht from an ATM. I do hate using ATM’s in Thailand where every bank charges 180 baht ($5) withdrawal fee but there’s no way around it & I’ve found carrying & exchanging cash doesn’t work out any cheaper.
Road 212 wasn’t as dramatically enjoyable today as it’s been previously. Occasionally it was its usual enjoyable self with majestic trees towering by the roadside creating a shaded canopy to cycle through with thick, impenetrable jungle just behind. Views across the Mekong & fertile green farmland springing into view but there were also sections where the road opened out into a bland 4 lane highway with unsightly shop houses & somewhat bland, uninteresting scenery.
Wonderful riverside lane
Once again the road undulated much of the way but it was always minor climbs on very modest gradients. As expected on riverside roads I passed numerous Wats glittering away in the sunshine.
Arriving in town early afternoon I had a leisurely cycle around & the town is absolutely full of ornately decorated temples. I checked out numerous hotels & finally settled on Rim Fang Khong Hotel, 97 Moo16, Phisaisoradel Road, Jumphon where I’ve a $7 room with hot shower (no fridge & the Wi-Fi doesn’t work in the room).
Tranquil sunset beer
Phon Phisai’s a beautiful, laid back, friendly little town with a wonderful riverside area. There’s a track which runs alongside the river passing numerous Wats & Buddha images with locals walking & cycling back & forth especially in the cooler evening air. Much of it is tree lined & passes beautiful stilted wooden houses & there are wooden pavilions to rest up & enjoy the river views. It really was a beautiful, relaxing place to spend the afternoon.
At night a small night market sprung up outside my hotel & I enjoyed a Laap Muu with sticky rice before picking up some cakes & a bag of beers for the room.  


07/08/15 – Phon Phisai to Udon Thani – 85km – Medium
Approximate MAP of today's journey HERE
I was undecided whether to have another short, easy day to Nong Khai or use more rural roads & cut through to Udon Thani. Heading out onto road 212 it was a 4 lane highway with fast moving traffic & I soon decided the rural roads to Udon were far more appealing.
It proved to be a mistake in the current wet season as the course Google Maps had plotted me went through farm roads & dirt tracks. As soon as I veered onto those tracks the heavens opened & a torrential rain battered me most of the day. It meant I was unable to get my phone out & check my location & had to rely on my finely honed sense of direction instead (ha!) – Of course I got completely & helplessly lost at every turn.
Shelter was hard to find & when I did find some (usually wading through flooded paddy fields to farmers lunch shelters) I’d unpack my phone to find I was helplessly off course. I’ve actually cycled over 100km today, much of it round & round in useless circles. When I did find the right routes they were often just tracks over rice field ridges & impossible to pick out without a GPS. The constant torrential rain meant I was often cycling through knee high water & sliding through a quagmire of mud.
It was painfully slow going & definitely a mistake to try this route in the wet season. Dry season it would have been a lovely cycle passing through thick forest, lush green farmland & peaceful hamlets but today I was relieved when I made it to road 2329 & a nice tarmac surface. 2329 was another pleasant road to cycle despite the torrential rain with a good road surface, fairly light traffic & vibrant green countryside all around.
By the time I got to Phen I really needed some food & stopped at the first restaurant I saw. Ordering pork, basil, chili over rice I absolutely shoveled it down, indeed I think I would have growled had anyone came close to my food, I really was that hungry.
Turning onto highway 2 for the final 20km to Udon it wasn’t as bad as I’d expected, sure it’s a busy highway with fast moving traffic but with a wide shoulder & next to no left turns it felt perfectly safe & I was able to make good time.
I was pretty tired by the time I arrived in Udon around 5pm & was disappointed to find Top Mansion were full as were the fan rooms at Sritrakarn Hotel. I didn’t have the energy or desire to cycle any further so took an $11.50 A/C room at Sritrakarn, it’s a fairly shitty room & the worst value I’ve had this trip but will do for a night.
One of the major attractions for me in Udon Thani is the huge night market which sprawls around the train station with every conceivable type of Thai food on offer but tonight the crowds, noise & traffic was too much for me. I contented myself with some food & beers from Tops supermarket & actually the fish, green pepper in black pepper sauce was sublime ($2).
At one point today I was cycling in circles knowing I had to take a left turn & head South but unable to find it. Ever more desperate I tried one flooded dirt track cycling through knee high water. After a few km’s the track ended in thick jungle. Retracing my steps I encountered a tractor ambling down the track towards me, as it passed a middle aged lady stuck her head out the cab & said in cheery, understandable English “hello falang” as if it was a normal, everyday occurrence to have a crazy falang cycling flooded, dead end tracks in torrential rain. It was one of those moments that was so absurd it immediately cheered me up.
Actually as I write this up I can smile & it’s actually been an enjoyable, adventurous days cycling but there were times today when panic was beginning to well up & I was wondering if I’d ever get back to a main road or somewhere with some services.

08/08/15 – Udon Thani

2 dishes & rice for $1.20
A frustrating day yesterday when I tried to change rooms only to find Udon's very popular at weekends especially with young Thai’s & it was almost impossible to find a budget room anywhere. AVOID ARRIVING ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY UNLESS YOU HAVE BOOKED AHEAD. It took me 4 hours cycling around finding everywhere full & I was on the point of giving up & making a late dash for Nong Khai when I noticed Jai Apartments had removed their “full” notice. It was a great find with a nice $11.50 A/C room, friendly family & a stone’s throw from the night market & Central Plaza. Its a few hundred meters up from the bus station heading north.
I really like Udon Thani with one of the best night markets I know of in Thailand. Central Plaza is always thronged with life & a great place to hang out for a while & for peace & quiet in lovely surroundings Nong Prachak Park with its well maintained gardens & lakeside scenery is hard to beat. Add in some of the friendliest locals in the whole of Thailand & I can understand why many foreigners choose to live here (notwithstanding the lure of the local ladies).
That said I took a stroll along “soi falang” a street made up of Pattaya style beer bars, Western restaurants & Western oriented guesthouses; it was a sad, depressing place completely out of sync with the busy, vibrant streets of the rest of the city.
I could easily have spent a week or more enjoying life in Udon but with lots of ground still to cover I tore myself away sooner than I wanted to. 



09/08/15 – Udon Thani to Nong Khai – 56km – Easy

A relaxed start to the day as I headed to Central Plaza food court for some breakfast. There ensued a fairly bland, boring ride along highway 2 to Nong Khai. Despite passing through pleasant green farmland interspersed with woodland my primary perceptions were of a 4 lane highway with fast moving traffic.
With a wide shoulder all the way I never felt venerable other than passing the occasional left turn where I had to move into the traffic & allow vehicles to pass me on the inside. Once again I noticed how courteous & understanding Thai drivers are towards cyclists, slowing right down & staying well behind to ensure they are in no sense a threat to me.
Arriving in Nong Khai mid afternoon I had a slow cycle around looking for a room. Pornvichet Hotel had $6 fan rooms but with no Wi-Fi in the room & no curtains it would mean an early awakening with the sunlight. Eventually I opted for Piluk Apartments, 465 Soi Cheunjit 1 & a really nice fan room, fridge, hot shower & good Wi-Fi. At $11.50 it’s a bit overpriced for a fan room but it was comfortable.

At one point today I noticed a kitten stuck in the road. It was absolutely petrified & couldn’t move as trucks & buses rumbled over missing it by inches. It’s innocent yet terrified gaze stays with me as I type up these notes 4 months later but I just couldn’t find a break in traffic to get out & rescue it.

 11/08/15 – Nong Khai to Si Chiang Mai – 50km (approx) – Easy

I’d enjoyed my stay at Piluk Apartments & found it very comfortable & non intrusive. $11.50 was a bit expensive for a fan room but still it was a wrench to pull myself away. With time left on my Thai visa I decided to have a run up to Si Chiang Mai.
The initial 10km was a disappointment as I passed through urban sprawl on a fairly featureless, boring road. Thereafter things improved as lovely countryside replaced the ugly urban sprawl with trees lining the roadside, green fields, expansive views across the Mekong to the Laos mainland & passing through tranquil, picturesque villages. Temples were never far from view with their gold painted exteriors glittering away in the sunlight.
It would have been a lovely cycle ride except for a complete lack of any shoulder; indeed often there was a steep drop on my inside, with moderately heavy traffic which occasionally got a bit too close for comfort. It all added up to nervous, unenjoyable cycling & indeed I was glad to eventually pick up road 211 which had blander scenery & heavier traffic but also had a wonderful wide shoulder to cycle along.
Pretty in pink - Dao resort
Arriving in Si Chiang Mai it took me a long time to find a satisfactory room, indeed I was just about to give up on the place when I stumbled upon Dao Resort with great value rooms; $8.50 with A/C, fridge, hot shower, good Wi-Fi & a really friendly, welcoming family who spoke some English. Coming into town take a left just before the post office, ignore the 1st basic resort & about 200 meters up this road on the right is Dao Resort (Thai sign only). I highly recommend it if you like value for money.
Si Chiang Mai’s a very friendly, if fairly boring little town. I enjoyed a lovely Penang curry before a sunset beer by the riverside & then picked up some extra food & beers for the room. 

12/08/15 – Si Chiang Mai to Nong Khai – 50km (approx) – Easy

Outside a police station
The reverse of yesterday’s journey & again lovely scenery was spoiled by a narrow 2 lane road with no shoulder & moderately heavy traffic. With all my concentration focused on staying right on the inside & watching out for oncoming traffic I rarely got my head up to enjoy the scenery.
In Nong Khai I returned to Pikul Apartments where I again felt I’m wasting money when there are perfectly adequate $8.50 rooms in town but I do feel extremely comfortable here & it will do for my last 2 days in Thailand.

14/08/15, Nong Khai to Vientiane – 28km – Easy

Friendship bridge, not a pleasant crossing
My last Thai meal for some time was another wonderful pork, basil, chili & fried egg over rice. Knowing I wouldn’t be getting anything near this quality of food for budget prices in Laos I savored every mouthful.
A slow cycle to the Friendship Bridge enjoying my last few monments in Thailand before a hassle free exit & I soon found myself cycling over the bridge. I’d been expecting a pleasant cycle over, perhaps stopping to take some photos of Nong Khai & the Laos riverside but in reality I found myself on a narrow 2 lane road with convoys of huge trucks passing & it just didn’t feel safe at all. It doesn’t help that there’s a railway track running down the centre restricting the width of the road & everyone’s maneuverability. It just wasn’t a pleasant experience & I was glad when it came to an end.
Laos immigration was friendly & welcoming & soon relieved me of $35 for my visa & I found myself cycling towards Vientiane, or so I thought! It took me around 15 minutes cycling in a daze until I realized the Mekong was on my right when it should be on my left. An about turn & I was soon heading in the right direction.
My comfortable dosshouse
It was a pretty bland, boring cycle into the city (if you can call Vientiane a city – it’s actually no more than a small town). There were no road markers or signs the whole way & although I do admire the Laos laid back approach to life I did think it’s 2015, surely you could put up a few signs directing people to your capitol city!!
Straight away you notice a serenity about the Laos people, there’s no stress about their features, the smiles are genuine & they just seem more at peace & content with life than any other race of people I know.
Life is good!
Arriving in Vientiane I checked a couple of guesthouses with good reviews on Trip Advisor but as is most often the case I found them to be poor value for money. I eventually ended up at my old standby Siri 2 guesthouse with a REALLY basic fan room, shared (& not too clean) bathroom but at $6/ night it’s fairly terrific value for Vientiane & with not too many people cheap or crazy enough to stay here I more or less have the place to myself including a nice, if musty, common room. 

CONCLUSIONS & OVERALL COSTS

Wow! What an absolutely wonderful cycle route. It had absolutely everything; great scenery, good roads, friendly locals, wonderful food, manageable distances, affordable hotels, fantastic towns to stop over in & extremely courteous drivers. Cycling’s become hugely popular in Thailand nowadays & indeed I often felt like a VIP as I traveled around.
To think 4 weeks ago I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy cycling in Thailand & almost turned back to Cambodia, thank goodness I persevered & I’m so glad I’ve rediscovered my love of this wonderful country & the hospitable, friendly Thai people.
Indeed I think this was the most consistently enjoyable cycle route I’ve ever been on especially from Khemmarat onwards.

I spent $566 in 24 days or $23.57/day. Very approximately my daily costs were;-

$10 – Accommodation
$5 – Food
$7 – Beer
$1 – Miscellaneous Inc water, soft drinks, toiletries etc.

NOTE; I had no visa costs & brought sufficient cigarettes from Cambodia thus saving me significant expense.

Coming soon….ish; - Southern Laos including a wonderful cycle through the “Thakhek Loop” with its sublime landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment